Thinking back to when we first brought Oscar home, aside from the sheer excitement and the realisation we would spend the next few months cleaning up poop and wee, our next memory is how nervous we felt being a first-time dog parent. In between deliberating over the best ensemble of collars and leads to get, we were anxious about the stuff we didn’t know about to keep Oscar safe and healthy. So like many people do we turned to our friend, Google. One of our first stops was everything to do with what NOT to feed your dog. We were particularly worried about the common household items that might be harmful to Oscar if we turned our backs for a split second. To save you some time, we’ve shared some of the knowledge we picked up on common pantry items to exercise caution with around your pooch.
Grapes & Raisins
This one came as a total surprise to us. No one’s figured out why exactly grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs but even very small amounts can lead to severe negative reactions. In the worst cases, it can result in sudden kidney failure for dogs, SCARY we know. We would suggest keeping these well out of reach of your prying pooches & remember don’t leave them in the fruit bowl on the table!
Another mystery like in the case of grapes and raisins, the mechanism of why macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs is not known. However, if your pooch gets a large enough quantity of these nuts it can cause weakness, hyperthermia, vomiting, tremors, and can lead to a syndrome of severe neurological difficulties none of which we would want our pooch’s to go through. One thing to remember is macadamias can often be found in various snack bars so again check ingredients prior to giving any to your pooch.
Alcohol can have some interesting effects on us humans. These same effects apply to our dogs but is amplified due to their smaller size. Alcoholic beverages and foods containing alcohol can cause central nervous system depression, inhibited motor function, vomiting, coma, and even death. We all know how much we like to switch off come the end of the week, but this really is something to never share with your pooch! Honestly, they certainly won’t thank you for it.
Tea, Chocolate and Coffee
We all know caffeine is a great pick me up for us hoomans but for our pooches it’s far from pleasant. The same goes for chocolate which contains the cousin chemical to caffeine called Theobromine. If consumed these foods can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.
Xylitol (in Artificial Sweeteners)
This is one where you will need to check those small ingredient panels but trust us it’s worth definitely worth it. You can find Xylitol in items like artificial sweetener, lollies, toothpaste, and some other sweets. It can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure in dogs as it has effects on insulin regulation. Initial signs of exposure could be vomiting, loss of coordination, and fatigue. If in doubt we would always stay clear of feeding anything to your pooch that you feel uneasy about, instead give it one of our all natural single ingredient treats, it’s a snack that will definitely love your pooch back.
Onions, Garlic and Chives
If your pooch has a sensitive stomach like our Oscar then I’d steer clear of anything containing onions, garlic or chives even though some there’s some advice out there that small amounts of these items should not be problematic. In high doses though they can cause gastrointestinal issues and red blood cell damage in our four-legged friends. I think we can agree none of us want to put our pooches through that.
These delicious green globes may have countless benefits for people, but they contain a toxin known as persin, which at high doses can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. The concentration is highest in the skin and pit of the fruit so be wary of where you leave that skin & pit after making your avocado on toast and remember to always leave your breakfast well out of reach of your hungry pooch.
Be responsible and prepared
It’s always best to be prepared and do your research or consult your vet first when it comes to feeding your pooches. We all know that accidents can happen so if for whatever reason you feel your pooch has eaten something they shouldn’t or starts to show any of the symptoms above take them to your local vet immediately. There are also pet helplines available for the after hours. We’ve generally had good feedback from people who’ve used www.vetchat.com.au as a starting point. Finally, if your pooch consumes even small amounts of number of the above items it may be fatal so always act immediately and take your dog to the vets.